In the world of flooring today, polyester and nylon are among the two most-used carpet materials. But where do you start? Which is right for you, polyester or nylon carpet? While the two materials are wholly different, they do share some similarities which you may not be aware of. For example, both polyester and nylon are petroleum-based synthetic materials. Both carpet materials are also very easily recyclable.
The benefits of using either a nylon or polyester carpet are:
- Very easy to clean/maintain
- Easily recycled after use
- Both have a wide variety of colour and style options to choose from
Polyester or Nylon Carpet – The differences
Some of the benefits polyester has over nylon are the following:
Production & Cost
Polyester used for carpet is created using recycled products, such as plastic bottles, or containers. This brings the price down, while also making polyester carpeting better for the environment. Generally, polyester carpet can cost around $2 less per square foot than nylon, ranging from $1 to 6 per square foot.
Most nylon is produced using new materials, unless specifically stated to be manufactured with recycled materials. Nylon generally costs anywhere between $3 to $8 per square foot.
As a result of being manufactured with recycled products, polyester does fall short of nylon in this regard. Dirt and grime make more of an impact on its’ appearance vs. nylon, and it can scuff more easily.
Nylon is a very durable material, and can withstand more use than polyester generally can. The fibers in nylon carpet have more of a rigidity to them, and will more easily retain their original position than the fibers in polyeste carpet. It will generally last longer than polyester carpet will, but isn’t quite as soft comparatively.
Comfort & Stainability
Polyester wins this category, simply due to the fact that the fibers are weaker than what you would find in nylon carpeting. The fibers in polyester carpet are far less rigid than nylon, making it easier to clean stains, and more comfortable to walk on. If you’re looking for a carpet to walk around barefoot and sink your toes into, polyester is the definite choice! Polyester carpet also generates much less static than nylon carpet will.
Owners of pets, or parents may want to choose polyester carpeting, as it’s more resistant to stains, while also being easier to remove stains from.
- Nylon is a better choice for high traffic areas, or commercial buildings. It will usually last from 10 to 15 years.
- Polyester carpeting is a great choice if you want to be environmentally friendly, or want a more comfortable carpet for your home.
- If you live in a dry area, you may want to avoid nylon carpeting. Nylon carpeting builds up static electricity much faster than polyester.
- Both polyester or nylon carpet are great choices if you’re looking for a wide variety of colours or styles for your carpet!